Studio VOXYZ is a multimedia and singthesizer production group founded by MystSaphyr, the voicer of the UTAU Kikyuune Aiko.
This site hosts downloads, media and information for all the voicebanks and characters in the VOXYZ series and related projects.
UTAU: The Basics
If you are unfamiliar with UTAU, here’s a run-down:
- UTAU is freeware voice synthesis software for music!
- UTAU “voicebanks” (“ongen/音源” in Japanese) are folders that contain prerecorded voice samples.
- The UTAU software lets you make these samples sing based on note/phonetic input.
- The term UTAU (or “UTAUloid”) can refer to an individual voicebank, which may be represented by a character avatar.
- In short, UTAU provides you with virtual singers that sing your songs for you!
If this reminds you of a certain hologram pop star with giant teal pigtails, you’re very close. Vocaloid (Hatsune Miku, et al) is commercial software for the same purpose. There are many others as well, including but not limited to CeVIO, NIAOniao, SharpKey, VOCALINA, and Sinsy.
Studio VOXYZ strives to create a multitude of high-quality UTAU voicebanks in various recording styles and languages, as well as promote the usage of such “singthesizers” in music and other media. We also seek to inform and instruct newcomers about this character-oriented vocal synthesis via convention panels and livestreams.
“UTAU: Free Virtual Vocalists” Panel
The panel that Myst typically presents at conventions is one specifically on the UTAU software. The presentation goes through the software’s history, explains its relationship with Vocaloid, and provides an introduction into the creation and usage of UTAU voicebanks. Below is a recording of one of these panels, given at the Castle Point Anime Convention in 2015.
(Video courtesy of Vyrone-sama on YouTube)